- Thursday, August 31st, 2017 • 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Thursday, September 7th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, September 14th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, September 21st, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, September 28th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, October 5th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, October 19th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, October 26th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, November 2nd, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, November 9th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, November 16th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, November 30th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
- Thursday, December 7th, 2017 • 12:00PM - 1:00pm
About Judaism & Islam 101 at WFU
Judaism 101 at WFU is an on-going Lunch and Learn series, which meets weekly on Thursdays from noon to 1 pm, We explore, share, compare, and discuss various aspects of Judaism and Islam. These sessions are open to the ENTIRE WFU and W-S communities.
This informal educational series is facilitated by Gail Bretan, Director of Jewish Life at WFU, and Naijla Faizi, Muslim Life Coordinator, along with various WFU faculty, staff, alumni, students, and Winston-Salem Jewish community members who will bring their expertise in the topic of the day.
Each session is self-contained, and no experience or knowledge about Judaism or Islam is required to join us.
There is always a handout given at each session with an overview and links to other information about the subject. At the end of each session is a question and answer period.
For more information or to suggest a topic, pleasecontact:
1) Gail at firstname.lastname@example.org or (336) 758-4056, or
2) Naijla at email@example.com
These are the topics you requested for the Fall 2017 (Thursdays from noon - 1pm)
Thursday, August 31, 2017 Overview of course. Background of the Facilitators. Naijla's dad is an imam, and Gail is as close as one can get to being a Rabbi without being ordained.
Thursday, September 07, 2017 Kosher & Halal? Muslim and Jewish diet? Eid al-Adha, Islamic holy-day of sacrifice.
Thursday, September 14, 2017 Head Coverings and Wrappings. What do they mean? Hijab, Kufi and Kippot
Thursday, September 21, 2017 Five Pillars of Islam, a brief overview. By Naijla
Tuesday, September 26, 2017 Feast & Fasts. Happy New Years! Rosh Hashanah
Thursday, October 05, 2017 Lunch in the Sukkah. Holy Structures. Synagogues & Mosques. What they look like/ prayer structures? (During Sukkot)
Thursday, October 12, 2017 Fall Break No class
Thursday, October 19, 2017 World geography, where Jews & Muslims live and Holy sites
Thursday, October 26, 2017 Misconceptions and stereotypes debunked.
Thursday, November 02, 2017 Common Jewish -Arabic phrases. Shalom/ Saalam
Thursday, November 09, 2017 Jewish/Muslim collaborations around the world
Thursday, November 16, 2017 Religious laws of the Abrahamic faiths.
Thursday, November 23, 2017 Thanksgiving Break No class
Thursday, November 30, 2017 Muslim & Jewish holydays.
Thursday, December 07, 2017 Last session of the term. Reviews and Assessments. Final questions and answers for the term (During finals)
- Location: Reynolda Hall, Heritage Room
- Open To: Everyone
- Facilitated by:
Questions? Please contact:
- Gail Bretan: • 336-420-0730